Monday, January 16, 2017

The Housecat Dress

I was originally thinking of calling this one "The Cat's Meow" since we've been re-watching Jeeves & Wooster lately & now those sort of statements pop into my head regularly,
but this time of year I would definitely consider myself a housecat so I went down that route instead. I'm usually known as 'the outside auntie' by my nieces & nephews whenever they want someone to play with them outside. 
{Compared with my sister Aimee who is decidedly 'the inside auntie.'}
Winter is probably my favorite season just because I love the coziness of being stuck indoors when the weather outside is frightful. {And winter contains Christmas which puts it way ahead of the other seasons in the favorite department.}
Plus this frock will more than likely be rarely seen outside of the house. So...housedress.
 I bought this flannel fabric just days after our cat had to be put to sleep.


We had enjoyed that little creature's sweet company for 15 1/2 years. Over half my life! So, needless to say this fabric was an emotionally charged purchase. The little cats on here do look remarkably like Kitty. At least now without a cat to warrant my status as crazy cat lady I have this frock to lend credence to that title. πŸ˜‰
I guess this lil frock is sort of a tribute to her.

{This has been my favorite hairdo lately. I think it has a fun 60s vibe to it.}

I used Simplicity1080. Omitting the pockets, tucks & ties and adding elastic to the waist instead. {Cuz once you've accidentally dipped the ties in the toilet it's one time too many. True story.}


And can you even handle the cuteness of these slippers? 😻
Apparently I'm going to be drawn to cat motifs at least for a while. 😸

Stay hep cats!
{hugs}
Michelle 😽
The Crazy Cat Lady 😹


14 comments:

  1. I had no idea you'd lost you beloved kitty. I'm so sorry. I'll be in the same position as you sooner than I could want, as Beau turns 13 this year and is already feeling 'old'. This won't be our first and it takes awhile to get over it. I like that kitty dress tribute. Yes, the shoes are precious. Maybe winter will finish quickly and we can all get "outside" again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. It was a very sad loss. We do get so attached to our little pets! Hopefully Beau stays well for a good amount of time. ♡

      Delete
  2. I love your creativity, Michelle! And this frock is perfectly gorgeous and so *you*! You have fantastic style! {{smiles}} I am so terribly sorry to hear about your beloved kitty...it is always heartbreaking to have to part with a special pet... We recently added a kitten to our family and Oscar has become so dear to us that I couldn't imagine losing him!
    Loving your sweet new blog...hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, sweet girl! Oh, a new kitten is such fun! Enjoy your special time with the little dear.

      Delete
  3. Love the dress, Shel! What a great tribute to Kitty. I'm sure she would have *loved* to lay on it...especially if it was in your clean-ready-to-be-put-away laundry pile! Ha ha!! She brought a lot of comfort and joy to our lives. ♡

    PS...Inside Aunties 4evaahhh!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aims! Haha! πŸ˜‚ Yes, she certainly would have loved to lounge on it after it was freshly washed.

      Delete
  4. We have a barn cat that will probably have a litter soon so maybe you could be a cat lady again with a new kitten? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I've definitely thought about a kitten, Rachel! I don't think I'm quite ready for a new pet though. We are completely animal free at the moment & I'm rather enjoying the freedom. πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  5. sweet story...sorry bout your kitty...sweet house frock hough. Dottie Angel? I need to make myself another...so comfy and easy pasy to sew. I made three! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love this Dottie Angel pattern. So comfy. Though I pretty well just disregard the instructions & do whatever I want. I've got another one cut out that I need to sew. As well as a few others living in my brain. πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  6. Hello, sweet Michelle! What a delight your new blog is! You and your posts always bring a smile to my face and a song to my heart :)

    I hope your New Year is off to a beautiful start. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ♥ your new blog and blog name. very fitting.
    you said, "Cuz once you've accidentally dipped the ties in the toilet it's one time too many."
    i say, "oh yes .. happened to me last saturday at work (antique shop). i wear a paint smock and one of the ties....you guessed it. argh." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry & welcome! πŸ˜„ Haha! It's such a horrible feeling, isn't it?

      Delete